Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Ar Foo Fong came to Portland in 1860 to work for George C. Shaw in his store on Middle Street, helping customers select teas. By 1871, he had his own store, the Chinaman's Tea & Coffee Store on Congress Street. This is an advertisement in the Portland City Directory, 1871, page 354.
About This Item
- Title: Portland City Directory advertisement, 1871
- Creator: Portland City Directory
- Creation Date: 1871
- Subject Date: 1871
- Town: Portland
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Ink on paper
- Local Code: Mx P837.1
- Object Type: Text and Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Business enterprises--Maine--Portland
- Chinaman's Tea & Coffee Store (Portland, Me.)--Advertisements
- Chinese Americans--Maine--Portland
- Chinese--United States--Maine--Portland
- Immigrants--United States--Maine--Portland
- Stores, Retail--Maine--Portland
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.