Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Toy Len Goon, a native of Canton, China, married Dogan Goon of Portland and came to the U.S. in 1922. She and her husband had eight children.
When he died in 1940, she continued to raise the children (the oldest of whom was 17) and operate the family laundry at Woodfords Corner, Portland.
She was named American Mother of the Year in 1952 and was honored by a parade in New York's Chinatown.
About This Item
- Title: Toy Len Goon, American Mother of the Year, New York, 1952
- Creator: International News Photos
- Creation Date: 1952-05-10
- Subject Date: 1952-05-10
- Local Name: Woodford's Corner
- Town: New York, Portland
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME, NY
- Media: Photoprint
- Dimensions: 16 cm x 22 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 2080, Box 4
- Collection: Chinese Americans of Maine collection
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- American Mother of the Year, 1952
- Chinese Americans
- Chinese--United States
- Goon Family
- Goon, Toy Len--Photographs
- Parades and processions--New York--New York City
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.