Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Dave Astor, a local television personality, hosted an American Bandstand-like program from 1956 through 1971. Originally titled "For Teenagers Only," Astor's program was first broadcast on WGAN (now WGME). It moved to WCSH by 1963.
Local area high school students were chosen each week to appear on the show as guests. Many sang, danced or played musical instruments as part of the program. On March 31, 1962, students from Freeport High School appeared on set.
About This Item
- Title: Dave Astor with Freeport High School student performer, Portland, 1962
- Creator: WCSH-TV (Maine Broadcasting System)
- Creation Date: 1962-03-31
- Subject Date: 1962-03-31
- Town: Freeport, Portland
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Film transparency
- Dimensions: 3.5 cm x 2 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 2499, Box 8/DA122
- Collection: Dave Astor Collection
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Dave Astor Show
- Family Record Center
- Freeport High School (Freeport, Me.)
- Record stores--Maine
- Rock and roll dancing
- Television dance parties
- Television programs--Maine--Portland
- WCSH-TV (Television station : Portland, Me.)
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.