Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
The Dave Astor Show was a locally produced television program which featured high school students from surrounding schools, such as South Portland High School. Student guests often sang, danced or performed on the American Bandstand-like program.
In this scene, students and the show's regular cast members are grouped around a piano. Some performed, while others ate hot dogs and drank soda. Visible under the Dave Astor sign, is Jeff White from South Portland.
Originally called "For Teenagers Only," The Dave Astor Show aired weekly from 1956 through 1971.
About This Item
- Title: South Portland High School students on The Dave Astor Show, Portland, 1962
- Creation Date: 1962-03-17
- Subject Date: 1962-03-17
- Portland, Cumberland County, ME
- South Portland, Cumberland County, ME
- Media: Film transparency
- Dimensions: 2 cm x 3.5 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 2499, Box 8/DA10
- Collection: Dave Astor collection
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Dave Astor Show
- Rock and roll dancing
- Soft drinks
- South Portland High School (South Portland, Me.)
- Television dance parties
- Television programs--Maine--Portland
- WCSH-TV (Television station : Portland, Me.)
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.