Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
The R.M.S. Scythia shipped out from Boston, Massachusetts on September 9th, 1927. The ship was recruited for a voyage to France in honor of the tenth anniversary of America's entry in World War I.
The log tracks the whole voyage the Le Havre, France, spanning about eight days, arriving on September 17th. This log records the longitude and latitude positions, weather patterns for each day, departure and arrival times, and an approximate length of passage between the U.S. and Europe.
It should be noted that this log is known as an abstract because it is prepared ahead of time and contains the projected times and weather patterns. Such things were subject to change once the voyage was underway.
About This Item
- Title: R.M.S "Scythia" travel log card, September, 1927
- Creator: Cunard Line Ships
- Creation Date: 1927-09-08
- Subject Date: 1927-09-08
- Boston, Suffolk County, MA
- La Havre, Seine-Maritime, France
- Media: Print on paper
- Dimensions: 10.8 cm x 16.5 cm
- Local Code: Coll. 2874, Box 1/4
- Collection: Joseph L. Murray Second A.E.F. Paris trip
- Object Type: Text and Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- American Legion
- France -- Description and travel
- Scythia (Steamship : 1921-1958)
- United States. Army. American Expeditionary Forces
- World War, 1914-1918
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Anniversaries, etc.
- Voyages and travel
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please send us a message with this link.