Contributed by Maine Historical Society
William Lloyd Garrison, noted radical abolitionist who also published the Liberator newspaper, wrote to the Portland Anti-Slavery Society secretary to accept a speaking invitation.
About This Item
- Title: Letter from William Lloyd Garrison to Elizabeth Mountfort, July 19, 1850
- Creator: William Lloyd Garrison
- Creation Date: 1850-07-19
- Subject Date: 1850-07-19
- Portland, Cumberland County, ME
- Boston, Suffolk County, MA
- Media: Ink on paper
- Local Code: Coll. 14, Box 1/3
- Collection: Portland Anti-Slavery Society records
- Object Type: Text
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Antislavery movements--Maine--Portland
- Garrison, William Lloyd, 1808-1879--Correspondence
- Lectures and lecturing
- Mountfort, Elizabeth, 1806-1876--Correspondence
- Portland Anti-Slavery Society--Records and correspondence
- Speeches, addresses, etc.
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please send us a message with this link.