Contributed by Westport Island History Committee
While Bessie Greenblatt taught on Westport Island at the North End School during the fall and winter of 1929 and the spring of 1930, she boarded with a widow, Annie Robinson Colby (1873-1937).
A relative of Annie's, Freeman Colby, also lived with her, and is seen in this photo being playful while his photo is being taken -- probably by Bessie.
This photo came from Bessie's photo album and was titled by her: "'Free' in gay mood. Mrs. Colby, the one and only."
About This Item
- Title: Freeman and Annie Colby, Westport Island, ca. 1930
- Creation Date: circa 1930
- Subject Date: circa 1930
- Town: Westport Island
- County: Lincoln
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 8.8 cm x 6.3 cm
- Local Code: BGreenblatt.Photo.2.circa1930
- Collection: Bessie Greenblatt Collection
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Families--Maine--Westport Island
- Portraits--Maine--Westport Island
- Teachers--Maine--Westport Island
- Westport Island (Me.)
For more information about this item, contact:Westport Island History Committee
6 Fowles Point Road, Westport Island, ME 04578
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.