Contributed by Old Berwick Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
This parade on South Berwick's Main Street was perhaps an early twentieth century Independence Day parade, or the parade for the town's centennial (in 1914), or the World War I "preparedness parade" of 1917.
Women in the middle ground held the supports of a banner that read "Cummings," in celebration of the David Cummings & Company shoe factory, which was the town's largest employer in the early to mid 1900s.
The Cummings factory building on Norton Street was constructed about 1872. It later operated as the South Berwick Shoe, Inc., and, finally, as the Duchess Shoe Company. As of 2016, the building still stands on Norton Street, but it lost all ties to the shoe manufacturing industry in the early 1990s, when it was renovated into an apartment complex.
About This Item
- Title: Cummings parade banner, South Berwick, ca. 1915
- Creation Date: circa 1915
- Subject Date: circa 1915
- Town: South Berwick
- County: York
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 14.9 cm x 19.8 cm
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Factories--Maine--South Berwick
- Hats--Maine--South Berwick
- Mill workers--Maine--South Berwick
- Parades & processions--Maine--South Berwick
- Shoe industry--Maine--South Berwick
- Shoemaking--Maine--South Berwick
- South Berwick (Me.)
- Uniforms--Maine--South Berwick
- Women--Maine--South Berwick
- Flags--Maine--South Berwick
- Cummings Factory
- Factory workers
- Mill workers
- preparedness parade
- Shoe industry
- South Berwick
- South Berwick Village District
For more information about this item, contact:Old Berwick Historical Society
P.O. Box 296; Corner of Main and Liberty Streets, South Berwick, ME 03908
The copyright and related rights status of this item have not been evaluated. Please contact the contributing repository for more information.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.