Contributed by Westport Island History Committee
Elmer Greenleaf (1892-1954) of Westport Island (left), with his nephew Eldred "Forest" Lewis (1898-1951). Elmer Greenleaf was inducted into the US Army in Wiscasset for service during World War I. He entered as a Private on October 2, 1917.
Greenleaf was attached to Battery B of the 303 Field Artillery and served at Fort Devens, Massachusetts, in the Utility Detachment Construction Division, Quarter Master Corps., where this photo was taken.
Greenleaf was discharged on January 31, 1919, as a Private First Class.
About This Item
- Title: Private Elmer Greenleaf and Forest Lewis, Fort Devens, ca. 1918
- Creation Date: circa 1918
- Subject Date: circa 1918
- Local Name: Fort Devens
- Town: Ayer, Westport Island
- County: Lincoln, Middlesex
- State: MA, ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 7 cm x 4 cm
- Local Code: ColbyGreenleaf.Photo.17.c1918
- Collection: Colby Greenleaf Collection
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Westport Island History Committee
6 Fowles Point Road, Westport Island, ME 04578
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- Fort Devens (Mass.)
- Military personnel
- Military uniforms--United States
- Soldiers--United States--Massachusetts-Fort Devens
- World War I (1914-1918)
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.