Contributed by Washburn Norlands Living History Center
Caroline Ann Washburn Holmes was born January 30, 1833 in Livermore, and was the youngest daughter of Israel and Martha Washburn.
Carol Ann Washburn attended Waterville Liberal Institute and Gorham Seminary. She married Dr. Freeland Holmes on June 3, 1857. The couple lived in Foxcroft with their children, Fanny Washburn Holmes and Frank E. Holmes, until the start of the Civil War.
Freeland Holmes joined the army as a surgeon in the 6th Maine Infantry. He died in service in Germantown, Virginia, on June 23, 1863.
The widowed Caroline went to live with her father, Israel Washburn until his death in 1876. She then lived with her brother Cadwallader Colden Washburn until his death in 1882, after which she moved in with her brother William Drew Washburn.
About This Item
- Title: Caroline Washburn Holmes, ca. 1860
- Creation Date: circa 1860
- Subject Date: circa 1860
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 10.7 cm x 8.3 cm
- Collection: Washburn-Norlands Photo Collection
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Washburn, Israel, 1813-1883
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 6th (1861-1864)
- United States--Civil War, 1861-1865
- Governors--United States--Maine
- Holmes, Freeland S., 1827-1863
- Maine--History--Civil War, 1862-1865
- Washburn Holmes, Caroline Ann
- Holmes, Freeland Salmon
- Washburn, Israel
- Washburn, Martha Benjamin
- Holmes, Fanny Washburn
- Holmes, Frank E.
- Washburn, William Drew
- Washburn, Cadwallader Colden
For more information about this item, contact:Washburn Norlands Living History Center
290 Norlands Road, Livermore, ME 04253
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.