Contributed by Maine Historical Society
Anti-slavery advocate Charles Sumner wrote to Elizabeth Mountfort, corresponding secretary of the Portland Anti-Slavery Society, to decline the group's invitation to speak in Portland.
About This Item
- Title: Letter from Charles Sumner to Elizabeth Mountfort, July 10, 1850
- Creator: Charles Sumner
- Creation Date: 1850-07-10
- Subject Date: 1850-07-10
- Portland, Cumberland County, ME
- Boston, Suffolk County, MA
- Media: Ink on paper
- Local Code: Coll. 14, Box 1/3
- Collection: Portland Anti-Slavery Society records
- Object Type: Text
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Antislavery movements--Maine--Portland
- Lectures and lecturing
- Mountfort, Elizabeth, 1806-1876--Correspondence
- Portland Anti-Slavery Society--Records and correspondence
- Speeches, addresses, etc.
- Sumner, Charles--Correspondence
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please send us a message with this link.