Contributed by Westport Island History Committee
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
This is an E. Joseph Leighton postcard of the old post office (pictured on the right). The "old post office" had been the store of William McKinney (1844-1904). His store, established about 1870, sold such items as candy, needles, thread, shoe laces, calico, school supplies, tobacco, fish lines and patent medicines.
McKinney was postmaster and distributed the mail from his store from 1889 probably until 1904 when he died. In 1905, rural free delivery was started with Charles L. Cromwell as the mail carrier.
About This Item
- Title: Old post office, Westport Island, ca. 1908
- Creator: Leighton, E. Joseph
- Creation Date: circa 1908
- Subject Date: circa 1908
- Town: Westport Island
- County: Lincoln
- State: ME
- Media: Postcard
- Dimensions: 8.8 cm x 13.8 cm
- Local Code: ColbyGreenleaf.Postcard.4.circa1908
- Collection: Colby Greenleaf Collection
- Object Type: Text and Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Post office buildings--Maine--Westport Island
- Postal service--Maine--Westport Island
- Retail trade--Maine--Westport Island
- Stores & shops--Maine--Westport Island
For more information about this item, contact:Westport Island History Committee
6 Fowles Point Road, Westport Island, ME 04578
The copyright and related rights status of this item have not been evaluated. Please contact the contributing repository for more information.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.