Contributed by Bethel Historical Society
This record was added to Maine Memory Network through the efforts of a student at Gould Academy. Learn more.
Veteran Henry Maxim wrote to his Civil War company Captain, Moses Mason Robinson of Bethel, recalling their service in the 12th Maine Regiment, Company G.
Maxim, who rose to the rank of corporal, reminisced about his service and bravery during a particular incident, as testified to by a Sergeant Brown, who he mentioned in the letter.
Maxim enclosed a piece of their regimental flag as a permanent memento of their service, ending his missive with praise and gratefulness for his family.
A postscript from Robinson's granddaughter in 1976 noted that the flag remnant is encased in a frame.
About This Item
- Title: Henry H. Maxim letter on Civil War service, West Sumner, 1895
- Creator: Maxim, Henry H
- Creation Date: 1895-05-29
- Subject Date: circa 1863
- Local Name: South Paris, West Sumner
- Town: Bethel, Paris, Sumner
- County: Oxford
- State: ME
- Media: Ink on paper
- Local Code: 1976.050.0010
- Collection: Robinson Family Collection
- Object Type: Text
For more information about this item, contact:Bethel Historical Society
P. O. Box 12, Bethel, ME 04217-0012
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 12th (1861-1864). Company G
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- Military service, Voluntary
- Military service--1860-1870
- Veterans--Civil War
- Bethel (Me.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 12th (1861-1864)
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.