Contributed by Washburn Norlands Living History Center
Samuel Washburn wrote his brother Elihu Washburne, hoping to obtain command of a ship during the Civil War. Elihu Washburne served in Congress representing the state of Illinois at the time of this letter. He also requested information about another brother, Cadwallader Washburn.
Samuel Washburn served as Acting Master in the U.S. Navy during the Civil War and eventually became an officer on the ironclad gunboat USS Galena. The USS Galena sustained fire during the Battle of Drewy's Bluff (Battle of Fort Darling) near Richmond, Virginia, and Washburn was wounded in the hip.
Samuel Benjamin Washburn (1824-1890) was the seventh child of Israel Washburn Sr. and Martha "Patty" Benjamin Washburn of Livermore. He had three children with his first wife, Lorette May Thompson. Two children, Sidney and Greenleaf, died in infancy. His oldest son, Samuel "Benny" Washburn, Jr., lived to adulthood.
Lorette Washburn died in 1869, and Samuel Washburn returned to Livermore to take care of his father and work the family farm. Washburn married Addie Brown Reade (1846-1914) in 1872, and had two daughters, Mary and Katherine.
About This Item
- Title: Samuel Washburn request for ship's command, New York, 1862
- Creator: Washburn, Samuel Benjamin
- Creation Date: 1862-03-22
- Subject Date: 1862-03-22
- State: NY
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 20.07 cm x 12.92 cm
- Local Code: Box 1 Folder 10 letter 255
- Collection: Samuel B. Washburn Collection, Correspondence: Sent 1843, 1862-1865
- Object Type: Text
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Washburn family
- Military service--1860-1870
- Maine--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- Washburne, E. B. (Elihu Benjamin), 1816-1887--correspondence
- Warships--United States
- Gunboats--United States
- Military service, Voluntary
- Washburn, Elihu Benjamin, 1816-1887
- Washburn, Samuel Benjamin, 1824-1890
- Washburn, Samuel Benjamin
- Washburne, Elihu Benjamin
- Washburn, Israel
- Washburn, Martha Benjamin
- Thompson Washburn, Lorette May
- Washburn, Sidney
- Washburn, Greenleaf Whittier
- Reade Washburn, Addie Brown
- Washburn, Mary Lorette
- Washburn, Katherine Benjamin
- Bushnell Esq, C.S.
- Washburn, Cadwallader Colden
For more information about this item, contact:Washburn Norlands Living History Center
290 Norlands Road, Livermore, ME 04253
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.