Contributed by Washburn Norlands Living History Center
Samuel Washburn writes of the status of the Iron Clad Gunboat Galena as it is damaged and being used to block the Appomattox River.
Samuel Benjamin Washburn (1824-1890), the seventh child of Israel Washburn Sr. and Martha "Patty" Benjamin Washburn of Livermore, writes to his brother Elihu. Elihu was serving in Congress at the time.
Sam Washburn was Acting Master during the Civil War for the U.S. Navy and became an officer on the ironclad gunboat USS Galena. The Galena sustained fire during the Battle of Drewy's Bluff (Battle of Fort Darling) near Richmond, Virginia, and Samuel was wounded in the hip.
Samuel Washburn had three children with his first wife, Lorette May Thompson. Two children, Sidney and Greenleaf, died in infancy. His oldest son, Samuel "Benny" Washburn, Jr. lived to adulthood. Lorette passed away in 1869. He then returned home to Livermore to take care of his father and work the farm. He married Addie Brown Reade (1846-1914) in 1872 and had two daughters, Mary and Katherine.
About This Item
- Title: Samuel Washburn on status of the Galena, City Point,1862
- Creator: Washburn, Samuel Benjamin
- Creation Date: 1862-05-25
- Subject Date: 1862-05-25
- Town: City Point
- County: Prince George
- State: VA
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 20.32 cm x 14.14 cm
- Local Code: Box 1 Folder 10 letter 257
- Collection: Samuel B. Washburn Collection, Correspondence: Sent 1843, 1862-1865
- Object Type: Text
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Washburn, Samuel Benjamin
- Washburn, Martha Benjamin
- Washburn, Israel
- Thompson Washburn, Lorette May
- Washburn, Sydney
- Washburn, Greenleaf Whittier
- Washburn, Mary Lorette
- Washburn, Katherine Benjamin
- Reade Washburn, Addie Brown
- Washburne, Elihu Benjamin
- Rodgers, John
For more information about this item, contact:Washburn Norlands Living History Center
290 Norlands Road, Livermore, ME 04253
The copyright and related rights status of this item have not been evaluated. Please contact the contributing repository for more information.