Contributed by Westport Island History Committee
There was reason to celebrate when the causeway opened between Birch Point, Wiscasset and Westport Island. The causeway replaced a two-car ferry that had operated since the late 1800's.
Pictured left to right were Westport committee members who worked for the construction of the causeway: Louise Swanton; Edwin Cromwell; Jennie Cromwell; Dorothy Kougian (Malone); Donald Kougian; and John Swanton.
About This Item
- Title: Opening of Westport causeway, 1950
- Creation Date: 1950-06-25
- Subject Date: 1950-06-25
- Town: Westport Island, Wiscasset
- County: Lincoln
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 20.2 cm x 25.5 cm
- Local Code: CromEdw.Photo.22.1950
- Collection: Edwin Cromwell Family Collection
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Bridges--Maine--Westport Island
- Causeways--Maine--Westport Island
- Dedications--Maine--Westport Island
- Westport Island (Me.)
For more information about this item, contact:Westport Island History Committee
6 Fowles Point Road, Westport Island, ME 04578
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
More to Consider
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.