Contributed by Washburn Norlands Living History Center
This record was added to Maine Memory Network through the efforts of a student at Spruce Mountain High School . More info about student projects.
Israel Washburn Jr. wrote about the Civil War's "Negro policy" and its effect on the war to his brother, Elihu Washburne, a Congressman from Illinois. His frustration stemmed from the fact that General McClellan refused to use Freedmen to guard rebel soldiers. He stated, "The negro policy has cost us 2500 lives, each are of worth more than all the rebels in the South."
Israel Washburn Jr. was the first son of Israel Washburn and Martha Benjamin Washburn. He was born on June 6, 1813 in Livermore. After practicing law in Orono, Israel served in the U.S. House of Representatives in 1842, representing Maine’s sixth district from 1851-1853 and Maine’s fifth district from 1853 to 1861. In 1861 he was elected Governor, a position in which he served two terms, until 1863.
Israel Washburn is recognized as one of the best of the "Civil War Governors," as he exceeded the number of troops he was required to raise to fight on the behalf of Maine. He was named Collector of the Port of Portland by President Lincoln, where he served from 1863 to 1877. Israel Washburn Jr. died May 12, 1883.
About This Item
- Title: Israel Washburn to Elihu Washburne about Civil War policies, Augusta, 1862
- Creator: Israel Washburn, Jr.
- Creation Date: 1862-07-12
- Subject Date: 1862-07-12
- Location: Augusta, Kennebec County, ME
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 20.75 cm x 13.75 cm
- Local Code: Box 1 Folder 2 #11
- Collection: Israel Washburn Jr. Collection, Correspondence, Sent: 1841-1883
- Object Type: Text
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- McClellan, George B. (George Brinton), 1826-1885
- Lincoln, Abraham, 1809-1865.
- Maine--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- Politics & government--Washington D.C.
- Governors--United States--Maine
- Washburne, E. B. (Elihu Benjamin), 1816-1887.
- Washburn, Israel, 1813-1883
- Washburn, Jr. , Israel
- Lincoln , Abraham
- McClellan, George Brinton
- Washburne, Elihu Benjamin
- Washburn Sr., Israel
- Benjamin Washburn, Martha Patty
For more information about this item, contact:Washburn Norlands Living History Center
290 Norlands Road, Livermore, ME 04253
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please send us a message with this link.