Contributed by Washburn Norlands Living History Center
- Item 100646
- print page
- download web image
This record was added to Maine Memory Network through the efforts of a student at Spruce Mountain High School . More info about student projects.
Israel Washburn Jr. wrote to his brother, Illinois Congressman Elihu Benjamin Washburne, concerning President Lincoln’s inauguration, danger of an attack on Washington, and raising money and troops for the Civil War effort.
Israel Washburn Jr. (1813-1883) was the eldest son of Israel and Martha Washburn. Raised in Livermore, he studied under his Uncle to be a lawyer, and later passed his bar exam in Orono in 1834.
Israel met his first wife Mary Maud Webster in Orono, they married on October 24, in 1841. They had four children, Israel, Ada, Charles, and Anna.
Israel Washburn joined the House of Representatives in 1842, and was elected to Congress in 1851. Later he served as Maine’s Civil War Governor from 1861 to 1863.
President Lincoln appointed Israel Washburn the Collector of the Port of Portland in 1863, a position he held until 1877. A year earlier in 1876, Israel married his second wife Robina Napier Brown.
Elihu Benjamin Washburne (1816-1887), who added the ancestral "e" to the name Washburn, son of Israel and Martha (Benjamin) Washburn, was best known for his personal and political friendships with Abraham Lincoln and Ulysses Grant. He was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives from Illinois in 1852 and he stayed there until 1869. He served as U.S. Minister to France from 1869 to 1877.
About This Item
- Title: Israel Washburn Jr. on Lincoln's inauguration, Augusta, 1861
- Creator: Israel Washburn Jr.
- Creation Date: 1861-01-21
- Subject Date: 1861-01-21
- Location: Augusta , Kennebec County, ME
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 25 cm x 19.8 cm
- Local Code: Box 1, Folder 1, #339
- Collection: Israel Washburn Jr. Collection, Correspondence, Sent: 1841-1883
- Object Type: Text
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Politics & government--Washington D.C.
- Maine--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- Lincoln, Abraham, 1809-1865.
- Washburn, Israel, 1813-1883--correspondence
- Washburne, E. B. (Elihu Benjamin), 1816-1887--correspondence
- Governors--United States--Maine
- Brown Washburn, Robina Napier
- Lincoln , Abraham
- Washburn , Ada
- Washburn, Anna Maud
- Washburn , Charles Fox
- Washburn, Israel Henry
- Washburn , Martha Benjamin
- Washburn Jr., Israel
- Washburne , Elihu Benjamin
- Webster Washburn , Mary Maud
For more information about this item, contact:Washburn Norlands Living History Center
290 Norlands Road, Livermore, ME 04253
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please send us a message with this link.