Contributed by Bethel Historical Society
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
This record was added to Maine Memory Network through the efforts of a student at Gould Academy .
At the outbreak of the Civil War, Clark S. Edwards (1824-1903) became a military recruiter and was selected as captain of the first company organized in Oxford County. This company became Company I of the 5th Maine Regiment, and Edwards later commanded the Regiment and participated in a number of leading engagements of the Army of the Potomac including Gettysburg.
For conspicuous bravery, Edwards was later promoted to the rank of Brigadier General by brevet in 1865.
After the war, Edwards worked in the farming and logging industries. He ran for Governor of Maine on the Democratic ticket in 1886, but was defeated by the Republican candidate. In 1890, he was appointed by the Governor to be Maine Commissioner for the Columbian Exposition in Chicago.
Edwards died in 1903, and his funeral was attended by Gen. Joshua Chamberlain. He is buried in Bethel’s Woodland Cemetery, where his sons purchased a lot in his memory for the use of Civil War soldiers who could not afford a burial.
About This Item
- Title: Clark S. Edwards, Bethel, ca. 1890
- Creator: Brown, George E
- Creation Date: circa 1890
- Subject Date: circa 1890
- Town: Bethel
- County: Oxford
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 16.4 cm x 10.7 cm
- Local Code: 1993.023.0001
- Collection: Bethel photographs - people
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Recruiting & enlistment--Maine--Bethel
- Military training--Maine--Bethel
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 5th (1861-1864). Company I
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 5th (1861-1864). Bethel Company
- Bethel (Me.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- Bethel (Me.)--History
- Edwards, Clark S. (Clark Swett), 1824-1903
- Maine--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- World's Columbian Exposition (1893 : Chicago, Ill.).
For more information about this item, contact:Bethel Historical Society
P. O. Box 12, Bethel, ME 04217-0012
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.