Contributed by Washburn Norlands Living History Center
This record was added to Maine Memory Network through the efforts of a student at Spruce Mountain High School. Learn more.
Freeland S. Holmes wrote to his wife, Caroline Washburn Holmes, when he was serving in Camp No. 22 in Harrison’s Landing, Virginia. At the age of 33, Freeland, of Foxcroft, volunteered as a surgeon in the 6th Regiment of Maine during the Civil War.
In this letter Freeland Holmes briefly writes of his well being and asks Caroline to send him half a gross of Orono matches. He then instructs her to pay $195 to his father.
The two had married on June 3, 1857 in Livermore at Caroline's family home. They lived in Foxcroft with their two children, Fanny Holmes and Frank E. Holmes. Freeland died on June 23, 1863 in Germantown, Virginia, from diphtheria and is buried in Rural Grove Cemetery in Foxcroft. Caroline, now a widow with two young children, returned home to Livermore where her father Israel Washburn Sr. lived. Upon his death in 1876 she moved to Wisconsin to be near brother Cadwallader and then to Minneapolis to be near her brother William Drew. Caroline died in 1920.
About This Item
- Title: Freeland Holmes letter to Caroline Ann Washburn, Virginia, 1862
- Creator: Holmes, Freeland Salmon
- Creation Date: 1862-07-25
- Subject Date: 1862-07-25
- Town: Harrison's Landing
- County: Charles City
- State: VA
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 24.71 cm x 19.84 cm
- Local Code: Box 1 Folder 2
- Collection: Caroline Ann Washburn Holmes Collection: Letters Received 1862-1864
- Object Type: Text
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Holmes, Freeland S., 1827-1863--Correspondence
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 6th (1861-1864)
- United States--Civil War, 1861-1865
- Maine--History--Civil War, 1862-1865
- Holmes, Freeland S., 1827-1863
- Holmes, Freeland Salmon
- Washburn Holmes, Caroline Ann
- Robinson, Benjamin F
- Holmes, Frank E
- Holmes, Fannie W
- Washburn, Israel
For more information about this item, contact:Washburn Norlands Living History Center
290 Norlands Road, Livermore, ME 04253
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.