Contributed by Washburn Norlands Living History Center
This record was added to Maine Memory Network through the efforts of a student at Spruce Mountain High School. More info about student projects.
H.C. Leonard wrote this letter as evidence to prove that Caroline Washburn Holmes was married to Freeland Salmon Holmes, a surgeon in the 6th Maine Regiment during the Civil War.
Caroline Holmes needed proof of her marriage in order to receive a pension after her husband's death on June 23, 1863 at a camp near Germantown, Virginia.
About This Item
- Title: Caroline Washburn Holmes proof of marriage, Livermore, 1863
- Creator: H. C. Leonard
- Creation Date: 1863-09-15
- Subject Date: 1857-06-03
- Location: Livermore, Androscoggin County, ME
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 20.40 cm x 12.79 cm
- Local Code: Box 1 Folder 2
- Collection: Caroline Ann Washburn Holmes Collection: Letters Received 1862-1864
- Object Type: Text
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Holmes, Freeland S., 1827-1863
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 6th (1861-1864)
- Military service--1860-1870
- Maine--History--Civil War, 1862-1865
- United States--Pension Bureau
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
For more information about this item, contact:Washburn Norlands Living History Center
290 Norlands Road, Livermore, ME 04253
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.