Contributed by Bethel Historical Society
A native of Greenwood, Dr. William B. Lapham (1828-1894) served in the 23rd Maine Regiment and 7th Maine Battery during the Civil War. One of Maine's most prolific 19th century historians, Lapham authored histories of the towns of Woodstock, Paris, Norway, Rumford, and Bethel. It was in Bethel that he attended Gould Academy and started teaching.
After being released from the Army, he resumed his medical practice and became a strong temperance advocate. He became a member of the Maine House of Representatives in 1867, moving to Augusta in June 1871. In 1872, Lapham assumed the post of general and news editor of the Maine Farmer, and also took on the responsibilities as medical director for the Grand Army of the Republic (G.A.R.) Department of Maine.
Besides his work for the Maine Farmer, he founded in 1875 The Maine Genealogist and Biographer, a quarterly which lasted for three years. During this period, he published genealogies of the Bisbee, Ricker, Tilden, and Chase families. Lapham recounted his personal experiences during the Civil War in the 1892 volume, My Recollections of the War of the Rebellion.
About This Item
- Title: William B. Lapham of Bethel, ca. 1863
- Creator: Brady & Co.'s National Photographic Portrait Galleries
- Creation Date: circa 1863
- Subject Date: circa 1863
- Town: New York, Washington
- State: DC, NY
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 9.85 cm x 6.20 cm
- Local Code: 2013.058
- Collection: Lapham Family Collection
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Lapham, William Berry, 1828-1894--Portraits
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 23rd (1862-1863)
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 7th (1861-1864)
- Bethel (Me.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- Veterans--Civil War
- Military service--1860-1870
- Military service, Voluntary
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
For more information about this item, contact:Bethel Historical Society
P. O. Box 12, Bethel, ME 04217-0012
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.