Contributed by Westport Island History Committee
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
The Pejepscot Paper Company contracted with Edwin Cromwell, a sawmill owner on Westport Island, to conduct managed clear cutting on neighboring Macmahan Island. Pejepscot Paper Company forester, Lin Rideout, supervised the operation.
The property was clear cut in patches of about 3/4 acres, each removing from 15 to 20 cords. The clear-cut patches were scattered over the Island woodlands and well apart from each other because of thin soil--typical of ledge-based islands--and possible wind throw.
The operation was sparked by the landowners' association on MacMahan Island who feared that a fire on the island could be devastating. In addition to the clear-cut patches, a defensible fire lane was cut the width of the island, separating the forest from the cottages.
About This Item
- Title: Managed clear cutting, MacMahan Island, 1957
- Creator: Maine Forest Service
- Creation Date: 1957-05-16
- Subject Date: 1957-05-16
- Town: MacMahan Island, Westport Island
- County: Lincoln, Sagadahoc
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 20.5 cm x 25.2 cm
- Local Code: CromEdw.Photo.10.1957
- Collection: Edwin Cromwell Family Collection
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Lumber industry--Maine--MacMahan Island
- Pejepscot Paper Company
- Sawmills--Maine--Westport Island
- Lumber industry--Maine--Westport Island
- Maine Forestry District
- Westport Island (Me.)
For more information about this item, contact:Westport Island History Committee
6 Fowles Point Road, Westport Island, ME 04578
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.