Contributed by Westport Island History Committee
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
Harley Wright unloads and stacks pulpwood harvested from MacMahan Island by Edwin Cromwell, a sawmill owner from Westport Island. Cromwell is pictured in the upper left corner with his back to the camera talking with Lin Rideout, the Pejepscot Paper Mill forester to his right.
The lumber is visible at the top left of the photograph floating in a boom which crossed over Goose Rocks Passage from MacMahan Island to Westport. The lumber was loaded at the southern tip of Westport on the shore of the old Brooks Farm.
Harley Wright worked for his father's business, the Wm. T. Wright Dealer in Pulp Wood, of Woolwich. Cromwell contracted with the Wrights to transport the lumber for paper production at the Pejepscot Paper Mill in Topsham. All of the lumber was loaded and unloaded by hand.
About This Item
- Title: Loading pulp for transport to Pejepscot Mill, Westport Island, 1957
- Creator: Maine Forest Service
- Creation Date: 1957-05-16
- Subject Date: 1957-05-16
- Westport Island, Lincoln County, ME
- MacMahan Island, Sagadahoc County, ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 20.5 cm x 25.2 cm
- Local Code: CromEdw.Photo.6.1957
- Collection: Edwin Cromwell Family Collection
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Lumber industry--Maine--MacMahan Island
- Westport Island (Me.)
- Sawmills--Maine--Westport Island
- Lumber industry--Maine--Westport Island
- Maine Forestry District
- Pejepscot Paper Company
For more information about this item, contact:Westport Island History Committee
6 Fowles Point Road, Westport Island, ME 04578
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. No Permission is required to use the low-resolution watermarked image for educational use, or as allowed by the applicable copyright. For all other uses, permission is required.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please send us a message with this link.