Contributed by Maine Department of Transportation
Among the buildings on Cumberland Avenue near Wilmot Street in Portland that were boarded up in preparation for demolition is Anshe Sfard Chassidic Synagogue, at right.
Although the buildings around it were torn down much earlier, Anshe Sfard remained -- boarded up and unused -- until 1983.
The area was part of the Franklin Arterial project.
About This Item
- Title: Boarded-up buildings, Portland, 1966
- Creator: Maine Department of Transportation
- Creation Date: 1966
- Subject Date: 1966
- Town: Portland
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Department of Transportation
16 SHS Child St., Augusta, ME 04333
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- City planning--Maine--Portland
- Anshe Sfard (Portland, Me.)
- Urban renewal--Maine--Portland
- Jewish communities--Maine--Portland
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.