Contributed by Scarborough Historical Society & Museum
Zebulon Knight, a Civil War volunteer from Scarborough, signed this document acknowledging his receipt of $400 from fellow Scarborough volunteer, Freedom Milliken, for Knight's enlistment on Scarborough's quota. James W. Libby witnessed the signing.
Knight enlisted as a private in Co. C of the 12th Maine Infantry on September 17, 1864. He was mustered out on July 22, 1865.
During the Civil War, the state and towns paid bounties to individuals, no matter where they lived, in in order to meet the quotas established by the state for each community.
About This Item
- Title: Zebulon Knight enlistment receipt, Scarborough, 1864
- Creator: Zebulon Knight
- Creation Date: 1864-09-08
- Subject Date: circa 1864
- Location: Scarborough, Cumberland County, ME
- Media: Ink on paper
- Dimensions: 9.5 cm x 19.05 cm
- Local Code: 1965.51.98
- Object Type: Text
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Scarborough (Me.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States--History--Civil War, 1862-1865--Recruiting and enlistment
- Maine--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- Recruiting and enlistment
For more information about this item, contact:Scarborough Historical Society & Museum
PO Box 156, Scarborough, ME 04070-0156
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.