Contributed by Maine State Archives
2nd Lt. Frederic C. Prince was born on June 15, 1842 in Cumberland to Paul (1785-1868) and Abigail Wells Prince (1804-1871).
On December 3, 1863 at the age of twenty-one, Prince enlisted in Company C of the 2nd Maine Cavalry to fight in the Civil War. By enlisting in Scarborough, he added his name to the town's quota requirement. His enlistment documents indicate that he was 5-feet 7-1/2 inches tall, with blue eyes and brown hair.
Prince was the quartermaster sergeant of the regiment, earning a promotion to 1st sergeant on August 1, 1864. Though the carte de visit identifies him as a 2nd Lieutenant, there is no information as to when this promotion might have occurred.
Frederic Prince and the 2nd Maine Cavalry fought in one of the last battles of the war at Fort Blakely, Alabama, on April 9, 1865, just two hours after General Robert E Lee surrendered at Appomattox Court House. He was last stationed in Barrancas, Florida prior to being mustered out on December 6, 1865.
About This Item
- Title: Frederic C. Prince, Scarborough, 1863
- Creation Date: circa 1863
- Subject Date: circa 1863
- Town: Cumberland, Scarborough
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Carte de visite
- Collection: Maine State Archives
- Object Type: Image
For more information about this item, contact:Maine State Archives
84 State House Station, Augusta, ME 04333-0084
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- Veterans--Civil War
- Scarborough (Me.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- Maine--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- Military service, Voluntary Recruiting & enlistment--Maine--Scarborough
- Military service--1860-1870
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry Regiment, 2nd (1861-1863)
- Recruiting & enlistment--Maine--Scarborough
- 2nd Maine Cavalry
- Appomattox Court House
- Barrancas, Florida
- Fort Blakely, Alabama
- General Robert E Lee
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.