Contributed by Maine Historical Society
The illustration of the winter quarters of the nine-month 25th Maine Infantry at Arlington Heights Virginia, in 1862-63, is signed "E. Evans," likely Pvt. Eleazer Evans of Gray, a soldier in Co. C of the regiment.
Northern and Southern armies generally ceased fighting and went into winter quarters from late fall until spring.
About This Item
- Title: Encampment of 25th Maine, Virginia, ca. 1862
- Creator: Evans, Eleazer
- Creation Date: circa 1862
- Subject Date: circa 1862
- Town: Arlington Heights, Gray
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME, VA
- Media: Lithograph
- Dimensions: 52.5 cm x 41 cm
- Local Code: 921-67, OS12
- Object Type: Text and Image
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Historical Society
485 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
(207) 774-1822 x230
Cross Reference Searches
LC Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Maine Infantry REgiment, 25th (1862-1863). Company C
- United States--Civil War, 1861-1865
- Military life
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.