Contributed by Maine Maritime Museum
Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.
This is a photograph of members of the Venerable Cunner Association and Propeller Club at its 50th anniversary meeting in 1895.
The club held its first meeting on August 7, 1845 at Portland Head Light, where members went to escape from the heat of the city.
They fished, smoked, cooked, ate and drank -- for 25 cents each.
Annual outings were held on the first Tuesday of August, mostly at Portland Head Light, although they met on Diamond Island a few times in the 1850s.
In the 1880s the club decided to move permanently to Long Point in Cape Elizabeth.
About This Item
- Title: Venerable Cunner Association and Propeller Club Band, 1895
- Creator: Venerable Cunner Association and Propeller Club
- Creation Date: 1895-08-06
- Subject Date: 1895-08-06
- Local Name: Long Point
- Town: Cape Elizabeth
- County: Cumberland
- State: ME
- Media: Photographic print
- Dimensions: 11.2 cm x 16.9 cm
- Local Code: 1999.36
- Collection: Venerable Cunner Association and Propeller Club Collection
- Object Type: Image
Cross Reference Searches
Standardized Subject Headings
- Musicians--Maine--Cape Elizabeth
- Venerable Cunner Association and Propeller Club (Me.)--Anniversaries--Photographs
- Clubs--Maine--Cape Elizabeth
- Capt Elizabeth
- HMS Pinafore
- Hunting & fishing clubs
For more information about this item, contact:Maine Maritime Museum
243 Washington Street, Bath, ME 04530
Use of this Item is not restricted by copyright and/or related rights, but the holding organization is contractually obligated to limit use. For more information, please contact the contributing organization. However, watermarked Maine Memory Network images may be used for educational purposes.
Please post your comment below to share with others. If you'd like to privately share a comment or correction with MMN staff, please use this form.