Alice Mary Longfellow, Cambridge, ca. 1870Item 28950 info
Longfellow National Historic Site
Following Henry’s death in 1882, his daughter Alice became the primary occupant and her care of Craigie House paid tribute to his memory.
She established the Longfellow Trust in 1913 and worked until her death in 1928 to preserve the house as a public museum. The National Park acquired the property in 1973.
Alice Longfellow worked with Waddy, her architect cousin, for alternations to the house that most often improved technologies such as plumbing and heating.
Ernest Longfellow painted this watercolor of his sister Alice at the piano at Craigie House.