Children's Gate, Longfellow Garden, Portland, ca. 1930Item 12034 info
Longfellow Garden Club
The Society’s library consumed most of what had been the family’s barn, garden, and orchard but the Longfellow Garden Club worked on a design to “preserve the garden atmosphere and plants” known to them.
Alexander designed an entrance to the garden. “The Children’s Gate” was named in honor of the five children who contributed funds for its construction.
In 1926, landscape architect Myron Lamb of the Harvard School of Landscape Gardening created drawings of all the garden beds.