Administration building, Western Maine Sanatorium, Hebron, ca. 1940Item 23519 info
Maine Historic Preservation Commission
When the Maine State Sanatorium opened its doors in 1904 as a privately run facility to treat persons with tuberculosis, the demand for services seemed insatiable.
Patients, families of patients, and potential patients often developed what seemed like a personal relationship with Dr. Estes Nichols, founder and medical director of the sanatorium.