In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Maine History Online

Maine History Online
MHS (Maine Historical Society)
Header Graphic

Staying Solvent: The Business of TB Treatment

Western Maine Sanatorium gate, 1928

Western Maine Sanatorium gate, 1928

Item 23630 info
Maine Historical Society

The Maine Sanatorium Association voted in May 1904 to begin construction of buildings at Hebron for a tuberculosis treatment facility.

The organization contracted with noted Portland architects John Calvin Stevens and John Howard Stevens to design the first permanent building.

To finance the venture, Dr. Estes Nichols, superintendent, was to convince 100 men to give $1,000 each for construction and the organization's Finance Committee also was to make appeals for funding.