Western Maine Sanatorium gate, 1928Item 23630 info
Maine Historical Society
The Maine Sanatorium Association voted in May 1904 to begin construction of buildings at Hebron for a tuberculosis treatment facility.
The organization contracted with noted Portland architects John Calvin Stevens and John Howard Stevens to design the first permanent building.
To finance the venture, Dr. Estes Nichols, superintendent, was to convince 100 men to give $1,000 each for construction and the organization's Finance Committee also was to make appeals for funding.