This is a very early shipping box used to send one dozen bottles of Moxie to the Jameson & Wotton store. Moxie was a patented medicine created in 1876 by Dr. Augustine Thompson in Lowell, Massachusetts. After a few years soda water was added to the beverage and it was marketed as soft drink. The drink's original name "Moxie Nerve Food" is clearly visible on the front of the box. It was purported "to strengthen the nervous system" and was "also a delicious beverage." The shipping box label tells us that it was manufactured by the Moxie Nerve Food Co. of New England, located in Boston, Mass. Augustine Thomson, whom the locals called "Moxie," bought property for a summer place on Friendship Long Island in 1906.
View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.