The Argyle Inn, built in 1908, consisted of three buildings: Argyle Inn, Argyle Hall, and Argyle Cottage. The Inn and Cottage are pictured on this postcard. The Inn was a large cottage containing a reception room, 12 sleeping rooms, and a 125 foot long piazza surrounding three sides of the building. The Argyle Cottage provided an additional nine sleeping rooms and had a covered piazza on three sides. The regular rates for room and board were $10.00 to $15.00 per week, depending on the location of the room and the length of occupancy. Like other summer resorts of this period, the Argyle Inn offered many amenities: bathing, boating, fishing, excursions to interesting places, and a tennis court. The steamboat landing and the long distance telephone & telegraph office were only a two-minute walk from the Inn, at the Jameson & Wotton wharf. The inn closed in 1916 during World War One.
View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.