In 1901 Sherman Jameson had the boat the Foster D built according to his own design and named it for his son. It had the lines of a sloop, with a sharp clipper bow and a rounded overhanging stern. Called a lobster smack, the Foster D could hold up to 700 pounds of lobsters, and its midships had a well with holes in the bottom so that water could circulate for the lobsters. One of the first motorized boats in Friendship, the Foster D traveled to islands and mainland fishing communities to buy lobsters for the Jameson & Wotton Wharf and deliver goods from the Jameson & Wotton store.
View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.