In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Maine Memory Network

A Tour of Sanford in 1900

This Exhibit Contains 11 Items
1
12 Bodwell Street, Broggi Home, Sanford, ca 1900

12 Bodwell Street, Broggi Home, Sanford, ca 1900

Item 9948 info
Sanford Historical Committee

Charles Frank Broggi was manager of F. Broggi Co., grocery store, and distributor for Boston newspapers.

Born August 17, 1885 in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, he died in Sanford January 13, 1931.

After Charles, this house was owned by his son Carl J. Broggi, who lived here until his death in 1956.

Carl inspired the organization of the Sanford-Springvale Chamber of Commerce and was a leader in the campaign to attract new industry to Sanford after the Goodall mills closed.

Paul Garvin, one-time Sanford Selectman, owned the house after the Broggis.

The house was later covered with asbestos siding.


2
12 Bodwell St., Broggi Home, Sanford, ca 1900

12 Bodwell St., Broggi Home, Sanford, ca 1900

Item 9949 info
Sanford Historical Committee

This is another view of the Broggi house. The Broggi name is well-known in Sanford because of the Broggi store, which was on the corner of Main and Washington Streets until the Trust Company Building was constructed in 1916-1918. Thereafter it was on School Street.

The name is also well known because Carl Broggi was the first Maine Commissioner of Industry and Commerce. Gov. Muskie attended his funeral in Sanford.

A network television movie was broadcast based on Carl Broggi's life in the 1950s. Routes 111 and 202 in the Sanford area were also named for him.


3
The Twelve Apostles

The Twelve Apostles

Item 9754 info
Sanford Historical Committee

These twelve identical homes were built for workers at the Goodall mills and nicknamed "The Twelve Apostles."

The photo was taken at the intersection of Cottage Street (Route 202) and Brook Street facing Number One Pond.

A few basic house plans were used over and over on the East side of Sanford, but identical houses were not always side by side. More often they were scattered so that one might see a house on one street, its duplicate on the next and still another duplicate around the corner.


4
5 Bodwell Street, Sanford, ca 1900

5 Bodwell Street, Sanford, ca 1900

Item 9953 info
Sanford Historical Committee

The doorway of this house on Bodwell Street reflects the architectural forms of ancient Greece.

Note the pilasters at the corners of the house that repeat the design of those on the door frame, the broad eaves, and the clever finish work above and below the windows which gave them the appearance of greater height.

The house originally stood at the corner of School and Bodwell streets, but was later moved to make way for the house built in 1895 that now stands at 16 School Street (see MMN # 9748).

In 1880 while still on School Street, it was occupied by Amos Garnsey, Jr., a partner with the Goodall brothers in building the Mousam River Mills in the 1870s. Amos Garnsey also built the Garnsey Block in Sanford Square. For most of the 20th century, the house was occupied by Edward L. Bodwell and after his death by his widow.

Nearly every architectural feature of the house was later covered with asbestos siding.


5
First Baptist Church, Sanford, ca. 1897

First Baptist Church, Sanford, ca. 1897

Item 9931 info
Sanford Historical Committee

The Baptist congregation in Sanford enjoyed such rapid growth in the 1880s that before the end of the decade it embarked on the construction of a new church to replace one only six years old.

John Calvin Stevens of Portland was chosen as architect, construction got underway in the late summer of 1888 and the building was finished the following April. The total cost was $8,552.24.

On the day of the dedication some $1,800 remained to be paid. Twenty-seven members who wanted the building dedicated free of debt donated the final amount.

The front porch, enclosed in the photograph, was originally open. The round circle on the belfry is on the original plans but without any indication as to its purpose.

John Calvin Stevens, Maine's most noted architect, is nationally known for his shingle style. This church was built in that style. The shingles have since been covered with artificial siding.


6
Garnsey Block, Sanford, ca. 1903

Garnsey Block, Sanford, ca. 1903

Item 9932 info
Sanford Historical Committee

Almon E. Garnsey was born in Richmond, New Hampshire, March 11, 1863. When four years of age his parents moved to Sanford.

He received his education in the schools of Sanford, and for some time afterward was employed as overseer in the Sanford Mills. He later attended the Parsons School for Watchmakers at La Port, Indiana, and graduated in May, 1889.

The same year he built a store on School Street, and at once commenced business as a jeweler and watchmaker. Shortly after, a line of shoes was added, and business steadily increased, so that in 1896 he removed to Central Square, and occupied the new building known as Garnsey's Block that had just been erected by his father, Amos Garnsey, Jr.

In 1898 Mr. Garnsey received a diploma of graduation from the Spencer Optical School of New York City, and met with great success in this branch of his business.


7
Garnsey Home, Main Street, Sanford, ca 1900

Garnsey Home, Main Street, Sanford, ca 1900

Item 9897 info
Sanford Historical Committee

Built in 1879 by Amos E. Garnsey Jr. who came to Sanford in 1866 to work in William Miller's small woolen factory.

Thomas Goodall purchased the mill the next year and Garnsey was associated with it for 30 years.

In 1873 he became a partner in the newly established firm of Goodall and Garnsey which put up the blanket mill. His partners were Ernest, George and Louis B. Goodall (the three sons of Thomas Goodall) and Lucius Chase.


8
Garnsey Home, Main Street, Sanford, ca. 1900

Garnsey Home, Main Street, Sanford, ca. 1900

Item 9898 info
Sanford Historical Committee

This is another view of the Garnsey home.

Almon E. Garnsey, Amos's son, owned the house following his father's death and it continued to be owned by the Garnsey family until 1944 when it was sold to Goodall-Sanford Inc.

Goodall-Sanford and, later, Wasco Chemical Corporation, used it as an executive residence and center for entertaining business guests. It was torn down in 1962.


9
Murray home and livery stable, Sanford, ca. 1910

Murray home and livery stable, Sanford, ca. 1910

Item 9769 info
Sanford Historical Committee

Edmund G. Murray, son of Horace and Lucy (Welch) Murray, was born in Shapleigh, March 5, 1835. He moved to Springvale about 1856.

He worked as a shoemaker, was later in the livery business, and was well known among the horsemen of the state.

In 1861 he enlisted in Sanford's company in the Eighth Maine Regiment. For bravery in battle, he received many promotions, with an offer of a commission in the regular army, which he did not accept.

After the capture of Richmond he was appointed Assistant Provost Marshal. He was mustered out January 18, 1866, having re-enlisted in the meantime.

In 1870. Cap. Murray was appointed deputy sheriff, and served for twenty-eight years. He held other town offices as well.

In 1855, he married Dorothy A. Quimby, of Newfield.


10
Orrin Roberts' Blacksmith Shop, Sanford

Orrin Roberts' Blacksmith Shop, Sanford

Item 9750 info
Sanford Historical Committee

This is Orrin Roberts Blacksmith Shop.

Orrin S. Roberts was born September 3,1847 and died August 7, 1908,. He is buried in Oakdale Cemetery, Sanford.

Roberts married Abbie M. Cheney in South Berwick and they had two children, Blanche Eva and Fred Scott.


11
Allen and Emery's Store, Springvale Square, 1891

Allen and Emery's Store, Springvale Square, 1891

Item 9773 info
Sanford Historical Committee

Harmon Allen was the founder of Nasson College and
was in active control of its affair for the first 30 to 40 years of its existence. For many years he was also the Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the University of Maine.

George A. Emery was the son of Deacon William Leigh Emery and was married to Susan Ellen Leavitt of York. He was in business in Boston for a number of years.


This Exhibit Contains 11 Items