Cabot Manufacturing Co., Brunswick, ca. 1895Item 22738 info
Maine Historical Society
The Cabot Manufacturing Company, which had operated a cotton mill by the falls of the Androscoggin River in Brunswick since 1857, expanded operations at the end of the nineteenth century.
In 1877, the company had 35,000 spindles operating and 550 operatives employed.
Cabot Manufacturing owned about 30 acres of land on both sides of the river and had more than 75 tenement buildings to house workers.
Many of the workers who lived in the tenements and in the northwest section of Brunswick came from French Canada.