Messalonskee dam, Oakland, ca. 1900Item 74731 info
Maine Historical Society
Central Maine Power began on the Messalonskee stream in Oakland in 1899 when Wyman and partner Harvey Doane Eaton purchased the Oakland Electric Light Company and its small water-powered turbine and generator.
Wyman and Eaton replaced the old unit in 1901 when they created the Messalonskee Electric Company to power streetlights in nearby Waterville.