In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Maine Memory Network

Walter S. Wyman, Electrical Entrepreneur

Fort Halifax dam and hydro station, Winslow, 1909

Fort Halifax dam and hydro station, Winslow, 1909

Item 74732 info
Maine Historical Society

In 1907 the Messalonskee Electric Company completed its first new hydropower investment, Fort Halifax Station on the Sebasticook River in Winslow.

In 1908 the station began providing power to several local interurban railways – major customers that provided almost half of the company’s revenues.

In 1910, Messalonskee Electric Company changed its name to Central Maine Power.


Item 3 of 4