Interior of Gulf Island hydro station, ca. 1927Item 74735 info
Maine Historical Society
Gulf Island’s three generating units provided a total capacity of roughly 20,000 kilowatts, much of it going to the local manufacturing industry.
Beginning in 1929, Walter S. Wyman organized funding from CMP’s then-parent company, New England Public Service Company, to purchase five struggling Maine mills, including three in Lewiston-Auburn, maintaining their presence in the local economy and their large electrical demand.