Gulf Island Dam and hydro station construction, ca. 1926Item 74737 info
Maine Historical Society
This image shows the Gulf Island Hydro Station under construction on the Androscoggin River, 4 ½ miles upstream from Lewiston and Auburn.
At its completion in 1927 it was the largest hydroelectric project in Maine, and accounted for more than half of Central Maine Power’s hydroelectric generating capacity.