Hiram Bridge pencil drawing, 1909Item 74156 info
Maine Historical Society
In 1925, Shaylor donated 125 pieces of artwork to the Nathan Clifford School and the Butler School including pictures in pencil, watercolor, India ink, ink, and illumination.
Along with donating all the materials including the frames and hanging wire, 80-year-old Shaylor supervised the hanging of the art.
The "Shaylor Corridor" also included a bust of Horace W. Shaylor by his daughter and a bronze tablet relief of HWS with a memorial testimony written by former pupil, William B. Jack, superintendent of Portland Public Schools. The tablet dedication reads:
This Corridor Is Dedicated to Horace W. Shaylor Who Was Forty-Five Years Teacher, Guide, and Friend To the Boys and Girls of Portland -------- He Opened the Door to the World Beautiful, and Little Children Saw the Happy Island The Peaceful Valleys, and the Everlasting Hills.
One proviso to his gift was that if the pictures were no longer wanted by the schools, they would be sold and the proceeds would be placed in a fund for unfortunate and indigent teachers. Shaylor started the fund by writing a $1,000 check.