Western Maine Sanatorium gate, 1928Item 23630 info
Maine Historical Society
The gates to the Western Maine Sanatorium on Greenwood Mountain in Hebron carried a small sign identifying the institution inside.
Even without a large sign, the facility was well known.
Begun in 1904 as a private hospital for treating tuberculosis, the sanatorium became part of a state network of hospitals in 1915.