Home economics cottage, Farmington State Normal School, ca. 1940Item 70431 info
Mantor Library at UMF
The original location for the Household Arts Department was the Norton house. It was purchased, renovated and christened "The Annex" by the students.
It was cold, drafty and a bit cramped until some renovations provided bigger space for sewing classes.The kitchen was crowded, but the cooking classes were popular, so students took it in stride.
By 1915, there were 30 girls in the program and admission was refused to others due to space limitations. The program had outgrown its Annex and the school purchased the Leavitt house, which became known as "The Cottage," and served as a base for the program beginning in January 1916.