In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Maine Memory Network

Otisfield's One-Room Schoolhouses

Bell Hill School students, 1916

Bell Hill School students, 1916

Item 7383 info
Otisfield Historical Society

Bell Hill, where the town's first meetinghouse was erected in 1798, was then the population center of town. The brick schoolhouse and a new meetinghouse, also constructed in 1839, still stand side by side, both now owned and maintained by the Bell Hill Meeting House Association.

Students are, back row, left to right: Victoria Hoglund, Doris Hamlin (later Culbert), Lydia Heikkinen. 2nd row, Orin Lord, Effie Stone, Doris Ridlon, Marion Stone. 3rd row, Matti Heikkinen, Amo Kalweit, Ralph Dyer. Front row: G. Howard Dyer, Willard Stone.


Item 3 of 26