In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Maine Memory Network

Otisfield's One-Room Schoolhouses

Bell Hill School, Otisfield, ca. 1910

Bell Hill School, Otisfield, ca. 1910

Item 7371 info
Otisfield Historical Society

Of Otisfield's three brick schools, only the Bell Hill schoolhouse, built in 1839, still stands. Probably because of its long use, more photographs exist of this schoolhouse than any other in town.

Teacher Hattie Searles is in rear of photo. In front of her are Margelia Dyer (later Hamlin), on left, and Gertrude Reed on right. Third row from back is, left to right, Clyde Hamlin, Marion Stone, Effie Stone, Doris Hamlin (later Culbert), and Henry Heikkinen. Front row, left to right, Lydia Heikkinen (later Merrick), Matti Heikkinen (on step), Willard Stone, and James Reed.


Item 2 of 26