Sally Mountain fire tower, 1932Item 19044 info
Maine Forest Service
In 1962, when the Maine Forest Service wrote its first Forest Watchman's Handbook, 59 towers were in operation.
By 1973, only 13 towers remained, replaced by surveillance aircraft.
Also in 1973, the Maine Department of Conservation was created, ending the Forestry Department and Forest Commissioner.
At left is the Sally Mountain tower in Somerset County, which was built of wood in 1908 -- a response to a fire on the mountain.
It was removed in the 1930s. Towers sometimes were discontinued or relocated to reflect changing needs and changing landscapes.