In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Maine Memory Network

A Focus on Trees

This slideshow contains 22 items
1
Arbor Day, St. Agatha, 1923

Arbor Day, St. Agatha, 1923

Item 9848 info
Ste. Agathe Historical Society

This is in the school yard of the Notre Dame de la Sagesse boarding school on Arbor Day in 1923. At that time, Sr. Marie Eugènie was principal. This Daughter of Wisdom, originally from Blois, France, served as principal from 1906 to 1935.


2
Thoreau Island, ca. 1930

Thoreau Island, ca. 1930

Item 8388 info
Patten Lumbermen's Museum

"Thoreau" Island, also known as Louse Island, is on the East Branch of the Penobscot River.

It is named for Henry David Thoreau, who wrote about his visits to the area in the 1840s.


3
Old Campus, Colby College, c. 1920

Old Campus, Colby College, c. 1920

Item 12784 info
Colby College Special Collections

"The Bricks," looking north, Colby College.


4
Grindstone Falls, East Branch Penobscot River, ca. 1900

Grindstone Falls, East Branch Penobscot River, ca. 1900

Item 8433 info
Patten Lumbermen's Museum

Grindstone Falls is on the East Branch of the Penobscot River, about eight miles north of Medway.


5
Lafayette Elm, Kennebunk, ca. 1900

Lafayette Elm, Kennebunk, ca. 1900

Item 13712 info
Kennebunk Free Library

This giant elm tree on Storer Street, shown in the middle of the photo, was named the "Lafayette Elm" to commemorate the famous visit of General Lafayette to Kennebunk in 1825. It died from Dutch Elm Blight in the mid 1900s.


6
Longfellow Elms in Gorham, 1903

Longfellow Elms in Gorham, 1903

Item 15740 info
Maine Historical Society

View of the road heading toward the Longfellow farm in East Gorham. The poet Henry Wadsworth Longfellow spent much of his childhood here at the home of his grandparents, the Hon. Stephen and Patience Young Longfellow.

The house was built in 1761 and the farm had hundreds of elm trees that had been set out in the late 1700s.


7
Doughnut tree, Fryeburg, 1943

Doughnut tree, Fryeburg, 1943

Item 6169 info
Fryeburg Historical Society

This tree, approximately 100 years old in 1965, was then ravaged by Dutch Elm Disease.

Once a stately elm situated in front of Young's Metal Shop on Portland Street, this tree acquired its name from the curious loop in one of its branches. It had been a landmark for a century. Children and adults often had their pictures taken while sitting upon it.

In 1965, Harry Eastman had the "doughnut" stump cut down, treated, and placed on his property further down Portland Street.


8
Largest tree, Leeds, 1980

Largest tree, Leeds, 1980

Item 10984 info
Maine Historical Society

Gerald McNear leans against a large red maple that he asked state forestry officials to examine. They said it could be some 300 years old. It is growing near the Androscoggin River in Leeds in what used to be the riverbed.


9
Elm Street, Topsham, 1887

Elm Street, Topsham, 1887

Item 12172 info
Pejepscot Historical Society

Elm Street in Topsham, looking west, is shown after a snow storm, April 2, 1887.


10
State Street, Portland, ca. 1880

State Street, Portland, ca. 1880

Item 12890 info
Maine Historical Society

Photograph of State Street, Portland, ca. 1880. Note wooden structures on elm trees.


11
Federal Street, Brunswick, ca. 1890

Federal Street, Brunswick, ca. 1890

Item 12214 info
Pejepscot Historical Society

A tree-lined view of Federal Street, Brunswick. Federal Street is currently designated an Historic District. Photo taken from an album entitled "Brunswick and Vicinity."


12
The Birch Chapel, Pine Point-Great Lake, ca. 1910

The Birch Chapel, Pine Point-Great Lake, ca. 1910

Item 7782 info
Maine Historical Society

The Birch Chapel at Pine Point Camp (boys) on Great Pond, Belgrade Lakes, ca. 1910.

This is part of a collection of photographs that include scenes of Mt. Desert Island, Porcupine Island, Eggemoggin Reach to Rockland in Penobscot Bay and the Belgrade Lakes region of Maine.


13
Pine Street, Lewiston, ca. 1895

Pine Street, Lewiston, ca. 1895

Item 7253 info
Lewiston Public Library

Old post card of Pine Street in Lewiston. Woman in late 1890s dress in foreground.


14
Party in the Pines, 1917

Party in the Pines, 1917

Item 14236 info
L.C. Bates Museum / Good Will-Hinckley Homes

Orphan boys (5th and 6th graders) of Good Will having a party in the Good Will Pines in 1917.

The Good Will Pines are located in Clinton on the east side of the Kennebec River on the campus of Good Will-Hinckley. Good Will-Hinckley Homes for Boys and Girls was founded in 1889 in Fairfield by George Walter Hinckley.


15
Green Acre, class under the pines, ca. 1900

Green Acre, class under the pines, ca. 1900

Item 6209 info
Eliot Baha'i Archives

The Green Acre Inn hosted classes for its guests, often featuring religious and spiritual leaders from around the world lecturing "under the pines" in Eliot in the late 1800s early 1900s.

W.E.B. DuBois, the founder of the N.A.A.C.P. was one such individual, as well as Swami Vivekananda, Edward Everett Hale, Anagarika H. Dharmapala, Ralph Waldo Trine, Helen Campbell, Booker T. Washington and historian John Fiske, as well as many other notables.


16
Maple sap collecting, Lyman, 1954

Maple sap collecting, Lyman, 1954

Item 5653 info
Maine Historical Society

Jeannine Morissette of Lyman is shown collecting sap from a maple tree during the early spring of 1954.


17
Maple syruping, Richmond, 1982

Maple syruping, Richmond, 1982

Item 11207 info
Maine Historical Society

Warm days and cold nights helped the sap flow. John and Mary Louise McCloy emptied sap into a large bucket as they tended to their syruping chores at sunset in March 1982.


18
Flames, Baxter State Park fire, 1977

Flames, Baxter State Park fire, 1977

Item 11292 info
Baxter State Park

Flames are seen in the trees during the 1977 fire at Baxter State Park.


19
Spruce budworm spraying, 1979

Spruce budworm spraying, 1979

Item 5639 info
Maine Historical Society

This C-54 spray plane is spraying a section of Maine's forest. In 1979 the spruce budworm attacked the spruces and made them unsuitable for use by the timber industry. The pesticide used to control the budworm was Sevin-4.


20
Sawing Winter Cordwood, Sabbathday Lake, ca. 1905

Sawing Winter Cordwood, Sabbathday Lake, ca. 1905

Item 6900 info
United Society of Shakers

Pictured from left to right at Sabbathday Lake are Frank Carpenter, hired man, and Brothers Hiram Bailey, John Dorrington (b. 1878) and John Pine (b. 1875).

The saw in the photograph was purchased in the 1890s. Elder Delmer Wilson built the gasoline engine that powered it.


21
Cutting down a tree, Maine woods, ca. 1900

Cutting down a tree, Maine woods, ca. 1900

Item 8426 info
Patten Lumbermen's Museum

E. B. Draper took this photograph of two woodsmen chopping a tree.


22
Logging, Maine woods, ca. 1900

Logging, Maine woods, ca. 1900

Item 8524 info
Patten Lumbermen's Museum

Long logs are piled in the lake flowage behind a dam, waiting for the logs to be sluiced.


This slideshow contains 22 items